What is an American meal? I always ask myself that question when I see a restaurant boasting its food as “American”. Honestly, I normally think of cheeseburgers. Is that all American food is cracked up to be? A hunk of beef between two slices of bread. Um, thank but no thanks. I’m not that big a fan. But Summit Grill redefined my understanding of what the good old USA considers its traditional dishes. This meal also marks the second “meeting” for the KC Foodie Club.
Summit Grill is a casual eatery with two locations in Lee’s Summit, MO and Kansas City’s historic Waldo neighborhood. The menu features brunch, lunch, happy hour and dinner with a range of options including hand-cut steaks, fresh seafood, salads, burgers and dessert creations made by pastry chef Nicolette Foster. Summit Grill is led by restaurateurs Andy Lock and Domhnall Molloy, who also dreamed up Third Street Social and Boru Ramen.
What We Ordered at Summit Grill
- Buttermilk biscuits with cheesy scrambled eggs, and Fritz’s sausage gravy – $8.95.
- Fried chicken salad under a bed of cheddar jack cheese, bacon, carrots, tomatoes, and honey mustard dressing – $9.95.
- Jalapeño cheese grits with thick slabs of Nueske’s bacon, Fritz’s sausage, and soft poached eggs – $10.95. Note that the grits were gluten-free and presented in the cutest mason jar.
- Corned beef brisket hash with eggs, bell peppers, onions, and. Hollandaise – $9.95. The hash was also gluten-free.
- Slow roasted prime rib dip on a hoagie with au jus, horseradish cream, and french fries – $15.95
- Bottomless Mimosas – $9.95.
By the end of the meal, each of us was completely stuffed with no room for dessert. However I did manage to fit in one last mouth-watering photo of the sweets before we left. Pictured are their Vanilla Bean Creme Brûlée, Candy Bar Cake, Carrot Cake, and Peppermint Cheesecake.
Party Time at Summit Grill
Summit Grill in Lee’s Summit offers two private event spaces. The Back Bar, which accommodates groups up to 125, features a private cocktail bar, dining area and patio. A second, more intimate, dining space is also available and seats up to 30 people. The Annex is a private event space at the Waldo site which can hold up to 75. Complete with a fully stocked bar, it’s the perfect place for meetings, parties and special events.
Summit Grill is a deliciously comforting reminder of what’s good about American food. Thank you so much for reading!